Situated just a few miles away from Dallas, Garland is the perfect combination of urbanization and natural beauty. From several beautiful landmarks and verdant parks to exciting museums, art galleries and historical wonders, the city of Garland is filled with opportunities for tourists to explore. Here are some fun facts about Garland.
Fun Facts About Garland
Garland Demographic and Geographical Fast Facts
- Garland is mostly located in the Dallas County with some portions situated in Rockwall and Collin counties as well.
- The city of Garland is the second largest populous city in the state of Texas, after Dallas.
- The lowest temperature recorded over is -19 degree Celsius in January 1989.
- This city is home to several racial compositions including White (57.5%), Hispanic (37.8%) African American (14.5%), Native American (0.8%), Non-Hispanic White (36.7%), Asians (9.4%), Pacific Islander (0.04%), Other Races (14.4%) and Two or more Races (3.3%).
- Garland is known for having the 17th highest number of Vietnamese Americans in the country.
- More than 2800 acres of land in Garland is covered in lush greenery, including 60 verdant parks and 6 recreational centers.
- According to US Census 2010, Garland had a population of 226,876, making it the 87th most populous city in the country.
Garland History Fast Facts
- Founded in 1891, the city was incorporated by combining three areas - Duck Creek, Embree and Garland.
- The Craddock food company was one of the first major companies to start operating in Garland after the devastating tornado of 1927.
Garland Government and Economy Fast Facts
- Garland was known for shipping onions during the 1940’s.
- Resistol Hats, which is known for its premium collection of hats, has its manufacturing unit in Garland.
- The city of Garland was known for its lowest poverty rates during the 1980’s.
- The economy of Garland is majorly dependent on industries like electronics, dairy products, steel fabrication, hat manufacture, oilfield equipment, food processors and aluminum die casting.
- The famous Kraft Foods plant runs its operations from Garland till today.
Garland Interesting and Important Fast Facts
- Established in 1920, the Garland Power and Light still provides electricity for the city till today.
- On 9th May 1927, an F4 tornado struck the city of Garland, killing 15 people, including the mayor.
- Garland is ranked as the 67th in the ‘Top 100 Places to Live’ by CNN and Money Magazine.
- In 2014, Garland was voted as the sixth best city to live for working parents.
- In 2015, Garland city was awarded at the 8th ‘Best Run City in America’ and the 17th best city for purchase a home for first time buyers.
- Garland Independent School District (GISD) does not believe in school zoning, hence residents can apply to any school under GISD.
- Famous country singer - LeAnn Rimes, was born and brought up in the city of Garland.